For my #HAPPO post I was contemplating how I would go about “pitching” myself, but I didn’t want it to just be a run down of where I’ve been and the projects I’ve done; that’s always available in my About and Resume sections above. What means the most to me when looking for a job is fit; not fitting in like a sheep, but meshing well with those I’ll spend most of my time with.
What I’m looking for
Last year at about this time I wrote a blog post called Brand “Me”. I flushed out the important aspects a prospective employer must have before I make the decision to move forward with the application or the job itself. Here’s a snippet from the post that sums everything up perfectly:
I hope to find a place that will give me plenty of quality experience and one that suits the goals I want to achieve in my career. Hopefully that place will be one that utilizes social media and many other useful instruments on the Internet; a place that has varied portfolios for me to work on to keep things busy and interesting; most importantly, a place that allows for creativity and has a fun, relaxing atmosphere to work in.
Outside of the environment and the tools used, I’m not a big fan of limiting where I work because it’s impossible to fully judge something until you’ve tried it. That being said, I have a leaning toward the consumer-tech sector, but I’m also open to government.
What you’ll find in me
If you’re reading this and have followed me on Twitter, this blog, or my latest and greatest blog inseansopinion.com, then you may have seen a good chunk of what I’m like in real life, or IRL as they say. If you haven’t, here’s a basic rundown:
- I base my interactions with others on honesty because I can’t stand people who are fake.
- I’m a lifelong learner, whether it’s reading blogs on communications best practices, attending industry events, or learning (some would say) useless trivia on Jeopardy.
- I am a fan of sports and if you’ve seen my Twitter feed, you’ve seen how many Olympics-related posts I’ve done lately. Aside from that I’m an avid Leafs, Raptors and Jays fan, though by no means do I only stick to those teams or sports.
- Much of my other entertainment comes from reading, movies/TV shows and music. I’m open to all genres as long as it doesn’t end up feeling like a chore to read, watch or listen to.
- I may or may not require interventions from time-to-time for my addiction to coffee.
If by reading this someone feels I’d make a good fit at an organization, then by all means feel free to contact me by commenting, or send me an email at email@example.com, and of course there’s always Twitter or LinkedIn.